Refer A Friend
Thank you for your interest in this position.
We have received your application from Indeed, so the first step of your application is complete.
To finish your application we will email you further details.
Specialist Paediatrician - Fixed term
Te Whatu Ora - Health New Zealand, Nelson Marlborough seeks an experienced Paediatrician to cover sabbatical leave for 6 months
- Fixed term position, 0.7FTE (56 hours a fortnight) to 0.9 FTE (72 hours a fortnight)
- 1:7 on-call and call-back allowance
- Nelson Hospital, Nelson, New Zealand
Ā mātou rōpū (About our team)
The Nelson Marlborough region, located at the summit of the South Island in Aotearoa, New Zealand, is spectacular. It is a great place to live for both work and leisure. Nelson offers all the luxuries and attractions one would desire. It is well connected to the rest of New Zealand and the world via its centrally located and well served domestic airport terminal.
The schools are excellent. There are three national parks nearby providing ample opportunities for quality family-time and appreciation of nature’s wonders. The region is renowned for its breath-taking natural landscapes, with stunning geography capturing everything from unbelievably long golden beaches to rugged mountains and untouched forests. These magnificent features offer endless opportunities for mountain biking, walking/hiking, water sports and skiing. The region is also well known for its café culture, wineries, art, crafts, and relaxed lifestyle. Visit the pages to uncover more about how to strike a better work-life balance being in Nelson https://www.nelsontasman.nz/ and https://www.newzealand.com/nz/nelson-tasman/
Te Whatu Ora, Nelson Marlborough has approximately 3000 employees, providing health services in the Nelson, Tasman, and Marlborough regions, serving almost 150,000 people. Facilities at Nelson Marlborough include four hospitals (Nelson, Wairau, Alexander, and Murchison Hospitals), a district wide public health service, and four community health Centre's located in Richmond, Marlborough, Motueka, and Golden Bay. Our vision is for all people to live well, get well, and stay well, and our mission is to work with the people of our community to promote, encourage, and enable their health, well-being, and independence. Respect, innovation, teamwork, and integrity represent our fundamental values.
Ētahi atu mōhiohio (More Information)
Ngā huanga o tēnei mahi (The benefits of this position)
The salary for this position is based on the current Senior Medical and Dental Officer collective agreement dependent on skills, experience, and vocational registration in NZ. SECA | ASMS
In addition to your salary, you will:
- Receive a generous annual allowance cover your continued medical education expenses (including associated travel and accommodation costs) as well as paid time off to attend events including international conferences.
- Have access to an employer matched Superannuation contribution of up to 6% of annual earnings.
- Be reimbursed competitive relocation, accommodation, and car rental expenses (conditions apply).
Ngā mōhiohio e pā ana ki tēnei mahi (About this position)
The successful applicant will:
- Deliver quality services to improve health of neonates up to early adolescence in the Nelson region.
- Join a supportive multidisciplinary team including 6 other experienced General Paediatricians and a team of RMOs, midwives, and Nurses making a positive difference.
- Participate in the 1:7 on-call roster contributing an equal share to shifts to cover general paediatrics, SCBU, and acute and inpatients.
- Work 1:7 weeks full time (40 hours Monday-Friday) and remaining 6 weeks to be agreed to complete employed FTE undertaking outpatient clinics and procedures.
- Supervise and participate in teaching of junior medical workforce.
- Have an opportunity to achieve work/life balance and enjoy one of New Zealand’s most sought-after regions.
Ko wai he kaitono tōtika? (Who is an appropriate applicant?)
The ideal applicant will:
- Bring your medical expertise and experience to an acute secondary care hospital and contribute to advanced care of the acute inpatients and outpatients in the region.
- Have General Paediatrics experience and knowledge of the unique demands in a provincial hospital including Neonatology, Paediatric Oncology, and special interest in child behaviour, development, and protection.
- Be qualified to join the Paediatric MEDSAC team.
- Hold current accredited Advanced Paediatric Life Support, or equivalent.
- Be eligible for an Annual Practising Certificate and vocational scope of Paediatrics with the Medical Council of New Zealand.
- Work with others to promote a cohesive team culture of collaborative practice, openness, humour, and respect across disciplines.
- Demonstrate commitment to continuing medical education and professional development.
Collegiality and collaboration across all disciplines are keys to provide successful services to our patients and community. Should this be the type of environment in which you will thrive, we would like to hear from you!
Me pēhea ahau e tono ai? (How do I apply?)
For general enquiries please contact our recruitment team SMO.Recruitment@nmdhb.govt.nz
For role specific information please contact:
-Helke Florkowski – Paediatrician, Helke.Florkowski@nmdhb.govt.nz, or
-Rosey Wilson - Service Manager, Rosey.Wilson@nmdhb.govt.nz
To apply please follow the link to complete our online application form https://nmdhb.careercentre.net.nz. Applications via email will not be considered.
Whilst it is no longer mandatory, for the health and safety of staff and patients, employees in this role are expected to be fully vaccinated against Covid-19 (primary course plus booster).
Applications close: Sunday 3 March 2023.
Te Whatu Ora strongly endorses Te Tiriti o Waitangi.
We believe that to achieve equity in health outcomes for Māori we need a workforce reflective of the population it serves. We strongly encourage applications from candidates who identify as Māori and we recruit for cultural competence.
He waka eke noa. We are all in this together.