Thank you for your interest in this position.
We have received your application from Indeed, so the first step of your application is complete.
To finish your application we will email you further details.
Support Worker (Day Services) – Disability Support Services
- This role provides a predominant component of music and sensory sessions
- Ability to play the guitar and/or piano is preferable
- Support self-esteem and wellbeing through meaningful fun activities
- Permanent position working 32 hours a week
Mission: Supporting people to live the best possible life
About Disability Support Services Vocational Programmes
At Disability Support Services (DSS) Day Services we believe that each person is unique and will have their own ambitions and goals.
Our objective is to provide support and social opportunities through activities that maximise and maintain life skills and enhance self-esteem and wellbeing. The services we deliver are based on the belief that all people are equal and therefore people with a disability have a fundamental right to be respected, accepted and valued in their community for who they are.
About the role
This position is located at our vocational base at Packham Crescent in Stoke. Our staff provide full day, or half day sessions of stimulating, challenging and individually meaningful fun activities. These include, but are not limited to; sport, art and craft and music and sensory activities. This role supports the people who attend to access their community and feel included in the community in which they live.
This is a permanent part-time position working 23 hours a week (0.575FTE).
Shift: Tuesday (3 hrs) 9.00am-12.00 noon; Wednesday (6.5hrs) 9.00am-4.00pm; Thursday (7hrs) 8.30am-4.00pm; and Friday (6.5hrs) 9.00am-4.00PM.
This particular role provides a predominant component of music and sensory sessions. It is therefore an expectation that you are able to play a musical instrument, preferably the guitar and/or piano. You will understand the importance of consistency in assisting people to achieve a great life and have a good understanding of how you as a person will contribute to the team.
Previous experience in the disability field and/or community work may be an advantage however, if you have the passion to work within this area we offer in-service training with ongoing professional development towards a national qualification.
We’re looking for people who have:
- A sense of humour
- Good social skills and the ability to relate well to others
- The ability to work with people who present with challenging behaviours
- Diversity to work with a range of people with differing levels of support needs
- The ability to maintain confidentiality, be tactful and sensitive in dealing with people
- Commitment to professional development
- An ability to work actively as part of a team and individually to ensure service quality
- A current full driver’s licence (preferably to drive both automatic and manual vehicles)
- Good English language ability (written and spoken)
- Basic computing skills
- Confidence in assisting with personal cares
- Energy and enthusiasm.
Your hourly rate will be $20.50 to $25.50 dependent upon your qualifications as recognised under the Care and Support Workers (Pay Equity) Settlement Act 2017.
This position is classified by Immigration as ANZSCO 423111 and applicants for this position must be NZ or Australian Citizens, or have NZ Permanent Residency, or a valid NZ work visa.
Appointment and ongoing employment will be conditional upon criminal record/police checks - you must declare any convictions and/or pending charges on your application form. This will include checks under the Vulnerable Children Act 2014.
How to apply
For general enquiries please contact our recruitment team on firstname.lastname@example.org or 03 546 1274.
For role related enquiries please contact Karen Smith – Manager Residential and Supported Living at Karon.Smith @nmdhb.govt.nz.
Keen to apply now, it’s easy. Please review the position description and complete our online application form. https://nmdhb.careercentre.net.nz/Job
Applications close: Thursday 25th July
Job no: N19-352
Location: Nelson Community
Closing Date: Thursday, 25 July 2019